

Tragedy in southern Utah, as a community mourns the loss of 10 people killed in a plane crash. The plane went down last night near Moab and was engulfed in flames when emergency crews arrived. No one on board survived. All the victims are from Cedar City.We know all of them worked for the Southwest Skin and Cancer/Red Canyon Aesthetics & Medical Spa, a medical group that provides cancer screenings and also dermatological services for the people who are in rural Southern Utah.
This group was led by Dr. Lansing Ellsworth. They wrapped up a day-long clinic there yesterday and were heading home to Cedar City, but moments after takeoff, the plane crashed. "This is a loss that affects really all of Southern Utah."
The plane was a twin-engine Beech King Air A-100. It was owned by the Leavitt Group out of Cedar City. David White was the pilot. It's unclear what problems he was having before the crash, or why the plane went down. Leavitt said, "He has flown that particular route often, as they went to Moab regularly. He flew that route for them."
Crews on Saturday sifted through the wreckage on a small rise about two miles from the runway. Bodies were placed in body bags and carted away. National Transportation Safety Board investigator Tealeye Cornejo said she didn't believe anyone could have survived the crash.
Investigators will try to determine if the plane caught fire before or after it hit the ground. The investigation will be made more difficult because much of the plane burned. "The fire was so intense, there's not a lot of it left," she said.
Grand County Sheriff James Nyland identified those killed as pilot David White; the company's director, Dr. Lansing Ellsworth, 50, and his son Dallin Ellsworth, 23; David B. Goddard, PA-C,60, and his daughter Cecilee Goddard, 31; Mandy Johnson; Marcie Tillery, 29; Valerie Imlay, 52; Keith Shumway, 26; and Camie Vigil, 25.
This news is so sad to me. When I worked at the hospital in Cedar, my office was right across the hall from Dr. Ellsworth. Although I only knew 3 of the 10 people killed in the crash, it still breaks my heart. I am very thankful I'm not working at the hospital during this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with their families, friends, staff and patients.
Grand County Sheriff James Nyland identified those killed as pilot David White; the company's director, Dr. Lansing Ellsworth, 50, and his son Dallin Ellsworth, 23; David B. Goddard, PA-C,60, and his daughter Cecilee Goddard, 31; Mandy Johnson; Marcie Tillery, 29; Valerie Imlay, 52; Keith Shumway, 26; and Camie Vigil, 25.
This news is so sad to me. When I worked at the hospital in Cedar, my office was right across the hall from Dr. Ellsworth. Although I only knew 3 of the 10 people killed in the crash, it still breaks my heart. I am very thankful I'm not working at the hospital during this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with their families, friends, staff and patients.





1 comment:
How devestating and sad. I never understand why things like that have to happen. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Southern Utah.
Post a Comment